A 24-year-old man nearly choked to death after a small fish lodged in his throat following a bizarre fishing accident.
Colombian media recently reported the case of a young young man from the country Municipality of Pivijay, which almost died in a very strange fishing accident. The man, whose name has not been released, is believed to have fished for his family on January 23 when he caught a fish. He had just removed the hook when he saw another fish pulling on the other line. The fisherman, unwilling to let him swim away with the bait, put the caught fish in his mouth and hurried to grab the other fishing rod. Only the fish had other plans …
According to local reporters, the man didn’t bite the fish hard enough that the slippery creature managed to break free of its bite and slide down its neck where it lodged. Fortunately, the fish the man swallowed supposedly belonged to the Mojarra family, known for their compressed bodies so it didn’t completely obstruct airflow.
The 24-year-old fisherman reportedly went to Santander Herrera Hospital on his own but was unable to tell doctors exactly what had happened as he could barely breathe. He kept pointing at his neck, but it was only obvious that there was a fish there after an x-ray was taken.
The fish was removed during an emergency procedure filmed by members of the medical staff who wanted to immortalize the rare occurrence. After all, you don’t see something like that every day. The patient was hospitalized for two days and made a full recovery.
“Ladies and gentlemen, something extraordinary,” says a member of the medical staff in the viral video. “A young man in Pivijay has swallowed a fish. We removed the foreign body from his esophagus. “
Interestingly, an almost identical incident was reported by the news media in Egypt a few months ago. Aside from the location and type of fish, pretty much everything else about the two stories is the same. Too much coincidence if you ask me …