U.S. Marines board a U.S. Marine Corps MV-22B Osprey in Helmand province, Afghanistan.
Cpl. Alejandro Pena | U.S. Marine Corps Photo
WASHINGTON – The White House confirmed Thursday that the U.S. military has begun its withdrawal from Afghanistan and has been proactively deploying additional troops and military equipment to protect the armed forces in the area.
“Potential opponents should know that if they attack us as we retreat, we will defend ourselves. [and] our partners, with all the tools at our disposal, “White House deputy press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters traveling on Air Force One.
“While these measures will initially lead to an increase in the armed forces, we remain committed to having all US military personnel evicted from Afghanistan by September 11, 2021,” she said, adding that the Biden administration is unifying The war-torn country intends to leave Afghanistan “safely and responsibly”.
The Pentagon has temporarily deployed B-52H Stratofortress aircraft for US Central Command, the combatant command that oversees American operations in the Middle East. A US Navy strike group is also in the area to provide assistance.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby previously said that the Department of Defense leadership will continue to consider the need for additional military capabilities as U.S. and coalition forces continue to migrate.
Earlier this month, Biden announced a full withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan by September 11, ending America’s longest war.
The removal of approximately 3,000 US soldiers coincides with the 20th anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks that spurred America’s entry into protracted wars in the Middle East and Central Asia.
Biden’s withdrawal schedule breaks with a proposed deadline agreed with the Taliban by the Trump administration last year. According to this agreement, all foreign armed forces should have left Afghanistan by May 1st.